Tuesday 22 October 2019

Detailing your Roundhouse Fowler

When I built "Victoria", I decided that the loco should have some extra detail. So I needed plenty of measurements and reference photos. I was fortunate to have easy access to the only surviving prototype of the Roundhouse Fowler, (Works No.17110) through volunteering at the Woodford Railway.


My method of taking measurements for modelmaking is unconventional, but saves me a lot of time and hassle in attempting to draw on paper, "in the field", every single component or assembly being measured.

Additionally, they were never meant to be published, so some are a bit unprofessional-looking. It'll look like there's some duplicate photos, but they're not so. I had to take them that way, due to the light making the tape measure impossible to read in some places. This required several photos from slightly different angles/viewpoints to measure out everything in a given area. As such, one may find my methods difficult to work with. In addition to the photographs in this entry, I also found numerous others online. As I'm not the owner of those images, I can't reproduce them here.

I used this online scale conversion calculator to scale my measurements down to 1:20th. Scribbling down a few common conversions was very helpful.

Download the photos so you can zoom in on 'em and have a close look. That's what worked for me, anyway.



































































When I was planning "Victoria", I considered several options for the smokebox door and chimney. I often have a hard time visualising ideas, so I make mock-ups - either physical, or by editing photographs such as these.






The original concept for "Victoria" was to scratchbuild side tanks and fit fly cranks. This was the result of combining elements of several Jim Fainges drawings, and trying various liveries.


Hopefully these will be of use to others, rather than simply languishing on my hard drive.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Aaron!
    Very useful for my project
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased to hear the photos are of use to someone. Looking forward to seeing more of your build over on the Gardenrails forum..

      Delete
  2. Hi Aaron, finding your pics extremely helpfull, also found the original build blueprints from Queensland Museum. Busy planning and making all the necessary fittings for the extras I have planned. Thank you again, Grant.

    ReplyDelete